Facility: OrthoIndy South Clinic, Greenwood, IN
Department: Clinic Services
Shift Details: Monday-Friday with occasional evenings and weekends
At OrthoIndy everything we do is about creating a caring, connected and committed workforce that directly improves the quality of life for our employees and customers.
Be a part of something great!
General Statement of Duties:
The Medical Assistant is the liaison between the patient and the Physicians or their support staff. The position duties include following the patient from the time of arrival to their time of departure and making sure all the patient and Physician needs are met.
- Manages patient experience from check-in to check-out. Escorts patients to the proper location within the clinic while keeping patients informed throughout their visit of any delays. Oversees daily patient load for assigned physician(s) or clinic(s).
- Triages and assesses patient injuries during intake process. Ensures documentation accuracy and reviews Health History in Allscripts, including; vitals, PMH, PSH, medications, allergies, immunizations, falls, pharmacy, referring physicians, primary care physicians, etc. Reconciles data upon each visit.
- Prepares daily schedules. Reviews charts prior to patient appointments. Ensures all needed information is in chart, including; test results, referrals, lab results, etc. Takes initiative to retrieve needed information if information is missing.
- Performs basic orthopedic procedures per instruction, including; drawing up injectables, performing duties of an orthopedic technologist including application of splints and durable medical equipment, knee immobilizers, grippers, slings, removing sutures and staples, assisting with wound care and dressing. Performs blood draws as requested. Coordinates OrthoBiologics injections with Support Services Department. Documents hyaluronic and steroid injections. Completes injection and sample medications logs.
- Orders and inputs patient imaging orders according to standard protocols. Monitors accuracy and performs safety precautions to minimize errors and overexposure to patients. Completes lab orders, UDS and Genetic testing. Coordinates timely pickup and processing of stat specimens. Orders replacement supplies.
- Provides patient education at physician request. Obtains education materials from library of procedure, injection, and rehab protocols.
- Develops and revises provider protocols annually. Updates department leadership with edits and additions.
- Stocks assigned pod and ensures availability of necessary medical supplies. Communicates supply shortages to manager.
- Follows best-practice protocols, upholds company policies. Notifies department leadership of safety concerns. Adheres to all OSHA and HIPAA standards.
- Participates in clinic staff meetings, safety checklists, and reviews. Performs safety audits as assigned by department leadership. Attends annual clinic education fair. Responsible for maintaining active BLS certification and related certification or licensure from one of the approved programs. Maintains continuing education requirements.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) Required; Specialty training beyond high school (e.g., Vocational School) Preferred
- Related certification from one of the following: American Association of Medical Assistants, Registered Medical Assistant, Certified Nursing Assistant, Emergency Medical Technician must be obtained within 1-year of employment
- BLS certification Preferred
- No prior experience necessary Required; 1 - 2 years of experience Preferred
OrthoIndy is an Equal Opportunity Employer