Our client, an asset management firm, is seeking a Data & Regulatory Counsel for a full-time temporary position in their New York City office. The assignment is for approximately 3 months, with the potential for a permanent opportunity.
In this role, you will provide the highest quality regulatory and compliance advice related to data in all areas of the business. You will focus primarily on data, consumer credit and lending laws in the United States. We are looking for a smart, motivated, self-starter to join our global legal team in a rapidly growing company. The ideal candidate is a practical, detail-oriented lawyer who provides business-oriented solutions to complex legal issues in uncertain regulatory frameworks related to data. Working with the management team, you will analyze current and future partnerships/programs and data used to determine the best scalable long-term frameworks to pursue.
To be successful in our Data & Regulatory Counsel role, you will be passionate about innovative solutions that drive business growth in complex data regulatory regimes and data compliance. Candidates best suited for this role will be excited by and welcome the challenges of working in a legally complex global fintech company in a growing, dynamic environment. As you will engage with all levels of colleagues and management, excellent communication skills are vital in building strong working relationships. The Data & Regulatory Counsel will report to the Head of Legal & Chief Compliance Officer (based in NYC) and will work with the Regulatory Counsel and Funds Counsel to address data regulatory issues. In this role, you will be working closely with our client's Israeli based colleagues.
- Act as a strategic business advisor to drive regulatory analysis and provide solutions, quickly and efficiently, on both clear and ambiguous regulatory issues for multiple areas, including data, originations, legal, research, engineering, and operations teams, as an integrated part of multiple working groups to facilitate partnership and program development
- Advise on matters relating to consumer data operations, usage and management, including adjusting internal compliance procedures to the organizations needs and growth
- Draft, review and negotiate commercial agreements and training programs, while providing insight and guidance from a data regulatory perspective.
- Stay current regarding new and changing regulatory developments for consumer credit, lending, alternative data, data privacy and advise management of new risks and opportunities.
- Assist Head of Legal and Chief Compliance Officer in building a global legal department, developing and enhancing its service culture and meeting the needs of the business.
- Provide other legal or non-legal support that the business requires.
- Bar licensed attorney in the United States (preferably NY or CA)
- JD or LLM from accredited US law school
- 4+ years experience in a US law firm and/or in-house
- Excellent oral argument skills and the ability to work well with internal and external clients
- Experience in consumer credit, lending, data licensing, IP and IT - particularly GLBA, FCRA and Alternative Data
- Experience navigating regulatory, compliance, operational and technical constraints, asking the right questions and finding the answers
- Exceptional business judgment that accounts for risk mitigation as well as business practicalities
- Excellent contract drafting skills with minimal support from external counsel, summarizing complex regulatory issues
- The ability and flexibility to work long and flexible hours based on the firm's needs
- Excellent judgment and initiative in developing creative, practical and effective solutions, using a business-first approach
- Experience in asset management, fintech or artificial intelligence
- CIPP certification
- Fluent in Hebrew
- Willing to work Sunday to Thursday, 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.