We strive to make healthcare better for all by making it easier for digital health innovators to succeed.
Who we are:
MedStack is on a mission to transform the process of healthcare innovation. Our company is an award-winning startup backed by prominent VCs and is a successful graduate of 500 Startups, the Creative Destruction Lab, and the DMZ Sales Accelerator. We've been named a TechCrunch Top Pick, one of Canada's Top 20 early-stage technology companies by CIX, and one of the Top 50 digital health disruptors in Canada by PwC and CB Insights.
Our business is a subscription-based platform, but we are also an ecosystem, a community that champions startups and entrepreneurship. We embrace automation, collaboration, startup empowerment, creative problem-solving, and putting our users' needs first. Our customers work with us and with each other to tackle the world's biggest problem: making healthcare more efficient, accessible, economical and effective, at a time when the world needs it more than ever before.
Privacy and security requirements are among the most significant barriers for companies looking to build digital health applications. The strict requirements hospitals, insurance companies, public health, clinic networks, and patient populations (all potential clients) must adhere to create overwhelming obstacles preventing the healthtech industry from truly taking off and making a positive revolutionizing change. At MedStack, we set out to solve this seemingly impossible situation. Over the past two years, we've built and released our new product, MedStack Control, a turnkey compliance solution designed to help healthcare innovators scale their applications quickly and earn the trust of healthcare enterprises, thanks to MedStack's out-of-the-box, proven privacy and security compliance guarantees.
Who we need:
At MedStack, we are a purpose-driven company and foster a culture of trust, freedom, remote-first, iterate, and learn-as-we-go. The chance to work at the intersection of passion, purpose, and skill draws the bright innovators that make up our team.
Whether you are coming from a startup, a scaleup, or a global enterprise company, if you have the hands-on B2B (or B2C) SaaS experience, have a passion for building technology-agnostic solutions that streamline complex work, a team-first approach, and the ability to quickly apply new technologies, we want to hear from you.
Right now, we are looking for a Software Developer to join our team, tackle new challenges, and build solutions that are resilient, scalable, and repeatable. This is an opportunity for someone who wants to be part of our mission, enjoys collaboration, and is excited to work in close partnership with the Product Manager. This is a remote position and we welcome applicants from across all of Canada.
What's in it for you:
The impact. Every day, you will sit down and know that you are building technology that matters. You can seamlessly blend the challenges and excitement of a startup environment, fast-paced development, complex problems, and cutting-edge tools - to build meaningful solutions. You will be professionally rewarded knowing that you are part of our mission to enable the continued innovation and improvement in health care.
The reality of seeing your work come to life. As a result of working under the guidance of the Product Manager, you can be confident knowing the code you build is directly solving a customer problem. We don't have a ton of meetings - that enables you to focus on executing the mission.
The exciting project work. As we grow our market reach, we want to ensure the tools we build can scale to support our clients' needs. You will be part of our current initiative to divide our application - and the individuals doing the work - into a front end team focusing on the full page app and a back end team working on APIs and the platform. You will have the opportunity to both specialize and gain exposure across the layers, working to optimize every aspect of our platform.
The work-life balance. You will appreciate being part of a small - but scaling - company, where not only can you get your hands dirty working on customer solutions, you can shut down at a respectable hour and have a fulfilling life after business hours.
The growth and autonomy. You will be a valued member of our development team, interacting with concepts from idea to deployment, learning as you go, teaching others, sharing research, and being able to apply it. You will work with freedom, flexibility, and the chance to take ownership of important projects, grow into a more senior technical role, across to product or into people management.
How you will make a difference:
- Architecture and development. You will:
- Develop features, including evaluating, recommending, and implementing new frameworks and tools as necessary to optimize our stack for robustness.
- Build integrations with internal system-level APIs.
- Design DevOps influenced workflows.
- Implement security best practices.
- Implement third-party libraries and services as necessary (billing, monitoring, etc.).
- Find the root cause. You will work directly with customers, diving deep to understand the issues they are experiencing (beyond first-level support issues), translating technical to non technical, researching, testing, documenting, and understanding bugs. Inspired by the philosophy of Site Reliability Engineering, we provide customers with access to 24/7 support, as a result, you will be part of an on-call rotation schedule. You can expect on average one after-hours call per 1-week shift.
- Solve new problems. You will solve operational issues, identify patterns, and work with the Product Manager to determine if a functional iteration is needed.
- Build features. You will assist in scoping new customer requests as prioritized by Product Management. You will independently, or as part of the team, design, develop, and deploy new features, focusing on the end-to-end process.
What you bring:
- The drive to learn. You are continuously seeking knowledge and opportunities to try and test new tools, technologies, and approaches.
- The self-direction. You can independently own and meet your deliverables, and you are equally comfortable working as a contributing member on a small, collaborative, remote team.
- The communication skills. You are open-minded, appreciative of diverse opinions, and you welcome feedback. You are comfortable using a range of digital tools to communicate problems, opinions, plans, and solutions to your teammates. You can build relationships in remote environments.
- The motivation. You have a strong interest in improving healthcare for people. You have the enthusiasm for making it easier for other developers to build digital health apps.
- The passion. You work on personal projects. It could be volunteering in your community; learning to play an instrument; participating in team sports; being in a book club; keeping up with the latest podcasts; or adding to your Github. Whatever it is, you do it with dedication and you reach for the challenges and absorb and apply new information.
Interview process insights:
You should be prepared for a small live pseudo-coding challenge in the interviewing process. You may also be offered a limited scope but company-valuable project to build on your own time via a small paid contract as part of our evaluation process.
Why we think you'd like it here.
MedStack is a remote-first company. And while that may not be a distinction now, it's the way we have always operated. This translates to having the processes, technology, and understanding in place to nurture a collaborative remote work environment with an exceptional work-life balance.
We meet (virtually) as a team at the end of every week to celebrate our wins, acknowledge milestones, showcase what we've each accomplished, tackle challenges, and learn from each other.
Diversity and inclusion are not mere words on paper to us. We have stringent guidelines and bold objectives.
We offer competitive compensation, generous benefits and vacation packages, and the choice to partake in the company's employee stock option plan. There is no better time to come into an early-stage award-winning company with a strong brand that is redefining an industry.
We are a company with a developer mindset and extremely high specificity, accuracy, and quality standards. Our core product is digital security infrastructure. Everything from our team processes to our brand reflects a culture of facts-first, entrepreneurship vs. the status quo, celebrating our customers' success before ours, and collaboration and openness. If you share our way of thinking and want to play an integral role in impacting health tech and health care, apply to express your interest.