What We Are Building
From Moonshots to ML for the Masses
McD Tech Labs leverages the best of Silicon Valley’s ability to solve the unsolvable with transformational technology and the world’s most recognizable restaurant brand known for delivering innovative solutions to make delicious, feel-good moments happen for 65 million people every day. From prototype to production in staggeringly fast iterations, McD Tech Labs has designed, tested, and deployed next-generation AI-powered technology at the forefront of Silicon Valley innovation. This allows our engineers and tech leads to get their hands dirty building a product in real-time.
Here at McD Tech Labs, we offer a rare opportunity to design real-world technology that is already live in the Drive Thru, reinventing the fast food experience today. So, what is this next-generation technology we’re developing? It’s McDonald’s industry-leading AI-enabled voice ordering system for the Drive Thru.
Welcome to McDonald’s. What Can I Get You?
McD Tech Labs is developing, testing, and deploying an AI-enabled voice system to automate the McDonald’s Drive Thru order taking experience. Combining both hardware and software and deployed at the speaker post, the automated order taker (AOT) takes customer orders in the Chicagoland area to the tune of thousands of orders daily, learning from those orders and human interactions along the way.Our AOT has the potential to revolutionize the way customers order in the McDonald’s Drive Thru and is just one way that McDonald’s pushes the boundary on innovation in the QSR space.
Who We Are
We love our technology, cutting-edge innovation, and solving tough AI problems.
We are open to new ideas. All voices are valued in the pursuit of learning and building the best tech. We welcome everyone's voice.
We invest in each other and our collective success. From pursing a degree to code pairing, we believe that we are better together.
We trust each other. We hold ourselves and our teammates to a high standard.
We move fast. We encourage bold moves, new ideas, and calculated risk taking.
Who We Are Looking For
We have openings across our Software Engineering, DevOps, QA, Data Science, Infrastructure, Machine Learning, Natural Language Processing, and Speech Recognition teams.
Our ideal candidate is one who loves an ambitious challenge, is passionate about the scale of our product, and curious about the latest and greatest in the industry.
At McD Tech Labs, we all have the chance to be part of a transformative product. Learn more about our open jobs and apply at careers.mcdonalds.com (you will be redirected to a McDonald’s Corporation page).
Please note that McDonald’s Corporation (and McD Tech Labs) is not related to Stack Overflow, does control the platform, and does not influence how Stack matches candidates with any jobs or other job-related information.
We’re a small group of thinkers and doers who love to grow, learn, and make a big impact. Within every project we apply well-known technology and skills in unique ways, and each project provides endless opportunities to grow. Our fast-scaling work and ambitious technology aren’t the only things helping us develop our careers; our continued learning programs, career development framework, and supportive environment help everyone achieve their best.
We are currently looking for skilled software engineers to work directly on the in-store AI Drive Through conversational agent stack. The primary responsibility of the Core Tech SWE is to work closely with computational linguists to accelerate the pace of stable and predictable development of Natural Language Understanding, Dialog, and other language-related components of our AI Drive Through Solution. This individual will work on the core logic, log telemetry, debugging tools, and robustification of an application that will reach 10s of millions of customers per day.
- Work with Computational Linguists and Machine Learning experts to improve Core Application frameworks.
- Help design, implement, and improve platforms in Python for managing conversation state, dialog flow, and applying voice actions in context.
- Build tooling to enable linguists and domain experts to easily make language and domain-related improvements, including localization.
- Continuous Incremental Refactoring to reduce execution risk and increase development velocity.
- Focus on firming up class hierarchies and business logic to be modular, testable, and robust.
- Maintain the cannon of “Best Practices” including the policy judgements made around code style, documentation conventions, calling patterns, and library use.
- Educate the engineering teams on standard methodologies, and where possible automate enforcement and migrate existing code to ensure compliance.
- BS degree in Computer Science, similar technical field, or equivalent experience
- Quick learner and ability to quickly contribute to the team
- 5+ years of professional experience developing software in Python
- 3+ years of experience in Linux environments
- Working familiarity with NLP applications and techniques
- MS or PhD in Computer Science, Computational Linguistics, or similar
- Professional experience with conversational AI (chatbot, IVR, virtual assistant, etc.)
- Professional experience with multilingual / localized software applications