What we are looking for:
A leader of innovation and engineering management but a developer at heart who is excited about the on-line education domain. You should have managed engineering teams and should have expert knowledge of web architecture and web front-end technologies including ReactJS.
Business Growth is the lifeblood of any startup and as the Director of Engineering of the new Monetization organization you will be leading the engineering team directly responsible for it. The responsibilities for this organization span across both consumer growth as well as B2B initiatives. User acquisition channels at MasterClass include SEO, SEM, Paid advertising, Organic channels etc. The Consumer growth team is responsible for optimizing these channels and growing the acquisition as well as investing and innovating the underlying infrastructure in partnership with the Platform team. B2B domain will include enterprise sales, partnerships, sales initiatives. You will be working hand in hand with Product, Data, Design, Marketing teams to develop strategic roadmaps for both Consumer and B2B growth. You will be responsible for building a diverse team of engineers and engineering managers, and be accountable for technical delivery of the initiatives. You will play a key role in career development, coaching of the engineers on your team and will be responsible for growing a small team into a larger organization. The position demands strong technical skills coupled with strong leadership, planning abilities.
- Build and grow diverse teams of engineers and engineering managers with strong culture.
- Partner with Product, Design, Data and Marketing teams to define the strategic vision and roadmaps for the Growth and B2B organizations.
- Setup the required processes to achieve excellence in execution and delivery of the projects at high technical quality levels.
- Effectively communicate team’s work to leadership and executives regularly.
- Make sound first-principle decisions around team resourcing (both IC and manages), composition and evolve the team according to the needs and team dynamics.
- Provide feedback, career guidance, address underperformance, and recognize the individual strengths and contributions of your team members and instill a strong sense of ownership and impact.
- Manage globally distributed engineering team members.
- Dive deep into technical architecture discussions with the leads on the team and be a thought partner for the team to influence the technology roadmap decisions.
- Drive engineering vision and innovation through new technologies and best practices for both Marketing Tech and Web Tech.
- Work closely with other engineering leaders on strategic planning to continually improve the engineering organization.
- Be ready to get into hands-on coding / code- reviews when needed.
- 10+ years of relevant technical experience working in software development.
- 7+ years in technology leadership roles.
- Exceptional organizational skills - Proven track record in building/managing high performing teams and growing engineers.
- Real world impact driven - Good knowledge of growth strategies. Passionate about experimentation and moving the metrics based on data backed decisions.
- Strong communication skills and ability to form close partnerships with cross-functional stakeholders.
- Passionate about following industry trends, new technologies and look for opportunities to uplevel the existing solutions to better solve the problems.
- Great command over technical skills including system architecture and marketing techs.
- Thrives in ambiguous environments and gets excited about figuring out solutions to complex problems, and execution on them.
- Experience working on full stack systems with user facing products in agile environments.
- Code does not scare you.
- You care about quality. It drives you.
- You think ahead and build for the future.
At MasterClass, we believe we put our best work forward when our employees bring together ideas that are diverse in thought. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law. In addition, MasterClass will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you have a disability or special need, we would like to know how we can better accommodate you.