JOB SUMMARY: The MA/MS Therapist has training in one of the mental health professions and clinical skill and experience to assess, plan, develop, coordinate, and provide treatment, rehabilitation, and support services to program individuals with severe and persistent mental illnesses under the clinical supervision of the team leader and psychiatrist.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS and RESPONSIBILITIES : The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the tasks performed within this classification with or without an accommodation. It is not necessarily descriptive of any one position in the class. The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning duties not listed herein if such functions are a logical assignment to the position.
- Coordinates and schedules services rendered to the individuals
- Treatment, rehabilitation and support to persons with severe mental illness
- Timely documentation of services
- Successful functioning in a fast-paced team driven work environment.
- Provide PACT Primary Case Management for an assigned group of individuals including coordinating and monitoring the activities of the individual treatment team
- Assume primary responsibility for developing, writing, implementing, evaluating and revising overall treatment goals and plans in conjunction with the other team members
- Provide individual supportive therapy and symptom management, ensuring immediate changes are made in the treatment plans as individuals’ needs change
- Educate and support individuals’ families, and advocate for individuals’ rights and preferences.
- Conduct comprehensive assessment of psychiatric history, mental status, and diagnosis; physical health and dental health; use of drugs or alcohol; education and employment; social development and functioning; activities of daily living; and family structure and relationships
- Acts as liaison and consult with community agencies and families to maintain coordination in the treatment process
- Perform shift management according to established policies and procedures
- Provide on-call crisis intervention covering nighttime hours and serve as a backup to evening and weekend staff
- Document individual progress to maintain a permanent record of individual activity according to established methods and procedures
- Provide treatment, rehabilitation, and support services, with some interventions directed or performed by staff with specialty training and skills
- Take the lead role or participate in providing substance use and treatment services
- Provide on-going assessment of individuals’ mental illness symptoms and individuals’ response to treatment
- Make appropriate changes in recovery plans to ensure immediate and appropriate interventions are provided in response to changes in mental status or behavior which put individuals at risk
- Provide symptom education to enable individuals to identify their mental illness symptoms
- Provide direct clinical services to individuals on an individual, group, and family basis in the office and in community settings to teach behavioral symptom-management techniques to alleviate and manage symptoms not reduced with mediation and to promote personal growth and development by assisting individuals to adapt to and cope with internal and external stresses
- Provide multiple-stage individual and group treatment in the office and in community settings to develop a trusting relationship with individuals so that they may more freely discuss substance use and its effect on mental and physical health and daily functioning
- May participate in setting treatment goals and plans with individuals to reduce or abstain from substance use and to learn replacement behaviors
- Coordinate with outside inpatient services to detoxify individuals and establish linkage to outpatient treatment, self-help programs, outpatient services and residential facilities
- Take a lead role or participate in the provision of rehabilitation services
- Teach job-seeking skills
- Develop individualized jobs based on individuals’ needs, abilities, and interests
- Coordinate with state vocational rehabilitation and other employment services
- The ability to comply with the regulations requiring a workplace of dignity and respect and equal employment opportunity compliance.
- The ability to work collaboratively with others and to accept constructive criticism from supervisors and managers.
- Willingness to abide by the company’s published rules and regulations
COMPETENCIES: Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Motivation (KSAM) required for an employee to be successful.
- Serving Our Consumers: Effectively meeting consumer needs, building productive consumer relationships, and taking responsibility for consumer satisfaction and loyalty.
- Consumer Focus: Building strong consumer relationships and delivering consumer-centric solutions.
- Values Differences: Recognizing the value that different perspectives and cultures bring to an organization.
- Age Specific: Developmental Stages, Assessment, Knowledge, Interpretation, Interventions, Enhancement of Family Involvement
- Basic Job Readiness: Courtesy, Flexibility, Reliability, Responsiveness
- Personal Effectiveness: Communication, Interpersonal Skills, Self-Management, and Thinking Skills.
- Organizational/Management: Compliance, CQI, Commitment, Leadership, Management of Information, Organizational Participation, Safety
- Performance Specific: Assessment, Crisis Management, Customer Focus, Cultural Competence, Empowerment/Advocacy, Psychosocial Interventions, Treatment/Service Planning
- Effective Communication: Clearly conveying information and ideas to individuals and groups in a manner that engages the audience and helps them understand and retain the message.
- Communicates Effectively: Developing and delivering multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
- Manages Conflict: Handling conflict situations effectively, with a minimum of noise.
- Continuous Improvement: The ongoing process of achieving positive changes in service and processes in order to improve efficiency and quality.
- Resourcefulness : Securing and deploying resources effectively and efficiently.
- Cultivates Innovation : Creating new and better ways for the organization to be successful.
- Expertise: Demonstrating proficiency of an employee's skill or knowledge within their field of practice.
- Drives Results : Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
KNOWLEDGE AND JOB SKILLS: Must have a clear understanding of the characteristics and problems of adults with severe and persistent mental illnesses and be knowledgeable about the PACT model. Demonstrates excellent verbal and written communication skills. Displays excellent telephone and customer service skills.
PERSONAL QUALITIES: A pleasant and friendly manner is vital to satisfactory job performance. Must display patience and understanding of potentially difficult individuals. Must be alert and vigilant at all times. Dependability and adaptability essential for this position. Must show initiative and be able to work autonomously.
SPECIAL FACTORS: Must be able to meet deadlines. Must be able to document accurately and remain current with all documentation. It is important for a person in this position to enjoy working with difficult clients and act as a role model whenever possible. Attends clinical supervision with clinical supervisor on a monthly basis. Able and willing, to work flexible hours. Must have reliable transportation and be willing to drive as a part of their basic job duties.
JUDGMENT/DECISION MAKING: Utilizes established corporate policies and procedures in making decisions. Uses sound judgment in meeting the responsibilities and performing the duties of the position.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree in nursing, social work, psychiatric rehabilitation, or psychology required
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience with the severe and persistent mental illness population or persons with similar human services needs required
· Driving Requirements:
o Must be Over the age of 21 required
o Minimum of 5-years driving experience required
o Possess a Valid FL Driver’s license (within 30 days of hire if currently do not possess)
o Possess a continuously valid US Driver’s license for the past three years, from date of issue required
o Safe Driving record required
TRAINING & DEVELOPMENT: Completes all requirements according to Individual Training Plan within the first six months of hire and annually. Other training and/or professional development may be assigned due to evolution of programs.
POSITION CONTENT: This job description is not intended to be and should not be construed as an all inclusive list of all the responsibilities, skills or working conditions associated with the position. While it is intended to accurately reflect the position activities and requirements, Management reserves the right to modify, and/or remove duties and assign other duties as necessary.