With the direction and consultation of the Firm’s General Counsel’s office and Professional Responsibility Committee:
- analyze results from searches of the Firm’s conflicts database and outside sources to identify potential or actual conflicts posed by new work or new hires;
- actively consult and advise Firm lawyers regarding conflicts clearances;
- as needed, draft conflicts waivers or take other steps to cure conflicts;
- provide instruction and supervise the work of the non-lawyer conflicts staff; and
- document or audit steps taken to clear any conflicts.
Works with ethical walls and screens managed within Intapp Walls tool.
Together with the non-lawyer staff, maintain the conflicts database with appropriate information about Firm clients and matters, client subsidiaries and affiliates, related parties, etc. Enter information obtained during the conflicts clearance process in the conflicts database documenting the resolution of conflicts and any waivers, where necessary.Job Requirements
Prior experience in law firm conflicts required. Will consider barred candidates that may have prior conflicts analyst or specialist experience. Does not require someone who has functioned in an attorney capacity within a conflicts department, but experience in conflicts is a firm requirement.
· Familiarity with the Model and DC Rules of Professional Conduct or analogous rules in other jurisdictions is preferred. Familiarity with anti-money laundering compliance regimes is preferred.
· Excellent legal or business research ability using various online databases and print resources is required.
· General familiarity with modern business organization models, structures, and ownership are required.
· Excellent analytical, written, and oral communication skills are required. Specifically, a Conflicts Attorney must be able to distill for the lawyer a quantity of complex data into a manageable, logical explanation of the legal issue and recommend steps to be taken.
· Excellent judgment is required in providing support to the Firm’s lawyers, including knowing when to escalate an issue.
· Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to establish close working relationships with Firm lawyers, administrative, and support staff are required. The demonstrated customer service focus is preferred.
· Facility with MS Office and similar typical business software is required. Familiarity with Intapp OPEN or another automated conflict of interest clearance workflow procedures and systems as found in AmLaw 100 Firms is preferred.
· The supervisory ability or demonstrated capacity to provide instruction in a business setting is preferred.