Our client operates a scientific research facility located in the Peninsula of the San Francisco Bay Area. They are currently in need of a Lead Controls Engineer with a strong background in Safety Systems and International Safety Standards.
This individual will be responsible for analyzing and designing safety systems within the facility. They will direct the efforts of other Engineers and Technicians within their department related to safety systems, as well as interface with Engineers and Scientists in other departments relating to safety systems.
- Lead and contribute to the development of safety systems for the one or more of the ongoing projects or programs, including the study of codes of federal, state and local regulations, DOE orders, internal policies and procedures.
- Provide strategic planning for the engineering project group.
- Manage project budgets, schedules, and resources.
- Generate system requirements and specifications following the safety lifecycle process, collaborating with the Radiation Protection Group, including test procedures and supporting the field certification of installed systems.
- Lead and contribute to the development of innovative solutions in the safety systems for existing and future particle accelerators.
- Oversee engineering effort for fail-safe design.
- Design and program automation systems including drawing formal electrical wiring diagrams of new systems as well as upgrading existing relay-based systems.
- Design and program SIL rated PLC-based control systems.
- Define, implement, and execute reliability and qualification tests. Design electronic test benches; perform safety and reliability analysis and tests, and develop documentation.
- Integrate systems, perform reliability and failure data analysis and oversee installations.
- Assist quality assurance with qualification and corrective action activities.
- Interface with field support and other technical entities to resolve quality and reliability issues.
- Interface with vendors/subcontractors, including oversight of outsourced project scope, schedule, risks, resources and quality of work.
- Collaborate with engineers and scientists. Direct the work of other coordinators, designers, technicians, and maintenance personnel.
- Support projects with cost estimates, budgets, schedules and procurement of key components.
- Maintain compliance with applicable internal policies and standards (Conduct of Engineering, Electrical Equipment Inspection Program, Work Planning and Control, Safety Protocols, Respectful Workplace…).
- B.S. degree in electrical engineering or related field with 5 years of system safety design engineering experience or a master’s degree in electrical engineering or related field with three years of system safety design engineering experience, or combination of education and relevant experience.
- Demonstrated ability in leading or overseeing the work of technical staff.
- Strong background in leading scientific, engineering, or technical research projects or programs
- Strong knowledge of electrical controls design, development, and commissioning
- A proficiency in common software CAD tools for schematic drawings
- Demonstrated expertise in programming SIL rated PLC-based systems in ladder logic or other languages.
- Demonstrated knowledge with technical writing and preparation of formal reports and user manuals.
- Ability to work efficiently as part of a collaborative team, lead, plan and organize projects, meet scheduled commitments on time.
- Ability to lead the technical efforts of subordinates and peers (technicians, engineering associates, and engineers).
- Demonstrated knowledge in reliability/safety analysis techniques (HAZOP, LOPA); Safety Life Cycle; Systems Engineering.
- Familiarity with international safety standards (e.g. IEC 61508 - ISA/ANSI 84.01) for industrial controls and other engineering design standardsbest practices (e.g., NEC, NFPA-79, etc).
- Highly organized, good interpersonal skills and strong communication skills, both oral and written.
- Hands-on field experience implementing and troubleshooting industrial controls and associated equipment.
- Experience in project management including the use of software tools such as Microsoft Project (or equivalent) and the ability to develop and manage time-phased budgets.
- Experience with contracts management, from the development of statements of work, to the support of the contracting phase through procurement, as well as the monitoring and tracking of the technical work execution of the resulting contracts.
- Experience with Siemens Step 7 or TIA Portal PLC platforms, or Rockwell-Automation Allen-Bradley ControLogix platform
- Contributed to the initiation of projects, using analytical skills, and working with minimal supervision.
- Experience in other regulated industries (e.g., pharmaceutical, food & beverage, oilgas, other research facilities, etc.)
- Experience with distributed control and fieldbus architectures.