Backend Software Engineer
Glad you’re interested! We’re looking for a determined backend engineer to help shape our digital solutions and change the way insurance is bought online. No more insurance talk that only a lawyer understands, we’re here to make a difference.
As a Backend Engineer, you’ll work in a multi-functional team to shape, implement and operate our customer-facing, multi-tenant and cloud-first platform.
If you’re passionate about tackling complex problems within a high-traffic distributed infrastructure by designing, implementing and testing simple, scalable and reliable solutions, then read on.
Your day-to-day activities will include
- Design and implement new features and/or components within our platform and develop prototypes quickly to allow an iterative approach
- Deliver high-quality code, focusing on simplicity, performance, maintainability and scalability
- End-to-end responsibility on the applications implemented, including monitoring, identifying issues or bottlenecks and delivering improvements of the platform
- Optimize applications and components to maximize speed and efficiency, ease of development of new features and the ability to scale business processes
- Create common libraries and frameworks demonstrated across the platform to streamline development of complex applications
This is what we will look for
- Proven software development capabilities (6+ years hands-on experience) in any modern language (Java, Kotlin, Scala, C++, C#, Go, Python …)
- Solid experience with applying domain driven design to high-traffic, service-oriented and API-first architectures and best practices around designing, scaling and monitoring concurrent systems (using different technologies and preferably RESTful APIs, message passing protocols and possibly asynchronous solutions)
- You carefully evaluate design trade-offs and strive for simple, elegant, algorithmically efficient solutions
- Your code is easy to read, test and re-use and you constantly improve quality overtime
- You understand business and performance metrics, how to collect and use them to continuously improve the product, performance, scalability and efficiency (leveraging A/B testing)
- Experience designing data-models for relational and NoSQL data stores
- Great team player: you collaborate effectively with team members, express technical leadership supporting your views and ideas while keeping open to different opinions, being fearless and always supplying to the overall growth of the team
- Experience with public clouds and Amazon AWS in particular is preferred
- Experience working in Agile environment using Scrum, Kanban …
- Continuous learner who stays up-to-date with the latest trends and can vet with proper pragmatism and long term vision the adoption of new technologies
- Master’s or PhD degree in computer science, engineering or equivalent working experience
- Ability to speak and write English fluently
What we offer
We're a start-up embedded within an organization known for its high-caliber talent and excellent benefits. So, you get the best of both worlds - a fast paced, challenging environment with a genuine work-life balance and more.
Do you love thinking ahead and identifying new opportunities or anticipate future challenges? Do you like driving complex, cross-functional projects following agile principles and pragmatism? Do you enjoy pushing borders and have a passion for the latest technologies?
That was a lot! Still interested? Now, that’s the spirit we’re looking for. Go ahead and apply today.
Our recruiting process
For this position you can generally expect a hiring process similar to the following one (based on location and availability the process can be slightly modified):
- Qualified candidates receive feedback concerning their application from our Recruiting team
- Based on role and experience, solve a coding exercise reviewed by our engineering team
- Phone technical interview: technical topics and usually a coding exercise
- Onsite coding interview: a coding exercise to solve together pairing with our engineers in your favorite programming language
- Onsite technical interview: conversation about technical topics, experiences and analyzing possible production scenarios
We provide feedback to all candidates via email. If you have not heard back from us, please check your spam folder.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.