The Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research (UFZ) with its 1,100 employees has gained an excellent reputation as an international competence centre for environmental sciences. We are part of the largest scientific organisation in Germany, the Helmholtz association. Our mission: Our research seeks to find a balance between social development and the long-term protection of our natural resources.
For the planning and solution of environmental geotechnical problems, such as the safe storage of energy waste in the geological subsurface, digitisation concepts for practical concerns are increasingly needed. An important element of these digitisation concepts is the use of high-performance computing methods to provide the necessary computing power for real-world applications. In close cooperation with the Federal Institute for Geosciences and Natural Resources (BGR), the OpenGeoSys simulation platform (www.opengeosys.org) is to be further upgraded for this purpose within the framework of this research project, including the parallelization and automation of complex simulation workflows.
Therefore the Department of Environmental Informatics invites applications for the following position:
Research Software Engineer - HPC (f/m/x)
Start at the earliest possible date; Working time: 100% (39h/ week), limited to 2 years
- Familiarize yourself with the open-source simulation software OpenGeoSys (www.opengeosys.org)
- Implementation of workflows for pre- and postprocessing of HPC-enabled (parallelized) applications of OpenGeoSys
- Enhancement of functionality of OpenGeoSys to create simulation grids and prepare them for parallelized simulations
- Further development of the insitu-visualization functionality of OpenGeoSys
- An academic degree in Computer Science, Physics, Mathematics or Engineering
- High proficiency in the programming languages C++ and / or Python
- Proficiency in the numerics of the finite element method
- Desirable skills in the application of workflow management systems (e.g. Snakemake)
- Some experience in the area of parallelized simulations
- Good proficiency in written and spoken English and German
- Excellent technical facilities which are without parallel
- The freedom you need to bridge the difficult gap between basic research and close to being ready for application
- Work in inter-disciplinary, multinational teams and excellent links with national and international research networks
- A vibrant region with a high quality of life and a wide cultural offering for a balance between family and professional life
- Interesting career opportunities and an extensive range of training and further education courses
- Remuneration up to the 13 TVöD public-sector including attractive public-sector social security benefits
The UFZ has a strong commitment to diversity and actively supports equal opportunities for all employees regardless of their origin, religion, ideology, disability, age or sexual identity. We look forward to applications from people who are open-minded and enjoy working in diverse teams.
Your contact for any questions you may have about the job:
Please submit your application via our online portal with your cover letter, CV (please omit your photo, age, or marital status) and relevant attachments.
Closing date for applications:
Place of work: Leipzig
More information about jobs at the UFZ: www.ufz.de/career
Helmholtz-Zentrum für Umweltforschung GmbH - UFZ
04318 Leipzig, Germany