We are seeking an Education Director for High School. The ideal candidate will bring a passion for the mission of HCZ Promise Academy, an understanding and respect for the culture of all residents of Harlem, and a desire for working in a school setting that fosters a love for children.
When students enter HCZ Promise Academy Charter Schools, we make a promise to help each and every one get to and through college. Everything we give our students—from world-class instruction and exceptional extracurricular activities to social emotional support and healthy meals—is aimed at fulfilling that promise. Our schools have a longer school day and year, helping us keep our kids safe and engaged, ensure their success in core subject areas, and give them an immersive, well-balanced education that includes exposure to the arts, daily physical activity, and field trips to museums, performances, sporting events and, of course, college campuses.
To support our teachers, we provide them with bi-weekly professional development, access to top-of-the-line technology, including a personal laptop, and Smartboards and tablets in the classroom. Additionally, our teachers are surrounded by colleagues and professionals—ranging from academic and instructional coaches and deans of students, to guidance counselors and social workers—all committed to ensuring the success for every child. As a teacher at Promise Academy, you will take your place in a team that seamlessly surrounds children in a safe, enriching environment, making sure they reach their full potential.
Our team has been comprehensively reviewing best practices from local, national, and international school systems and following government guidelines to ensure we are taking all possible safety measures related to the pandemic. Our safety protocols have been enhanced with the advice and assistance of experts in the areas of public health, epidemiology, air quality control, space design and layout, and building capacity. Our organization continues to prioritize the safety of all students and staff as we navigate these unprecedented times.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure teachers are informed of Promise Academy's classroom expectations for instructional delivery
- Participate in hiring process for new staff
- Collaborate with coaches to research, evaluate, and prepare recommendations on curricula, instructional methods, and materials for school systems
- Oversee implementation of external assessment systems, including the New York State Tests and standardized test, and uses data to formulate informed decisions
- Use data to construct and oversee implementation of student rosters
- Attend grade team meetings and help develop instructional strategies that evaluate student achievement
- Monitor grade level progress and student achievement based on benchmarks
- Collaborate with coaches to prepare for and participate in data meetings
- Oversee completion of report cards and progress reports and collaborate with Ops Director for logistics of sending to families
- Collaborate with Ops Director for ordering and security of testing materials (state tests, Regents, NYSESLAT, etc.)
- Observe teachers and meets with them to provide feedback (formal)
- Collaborate with coaches to oversee professional development activities
- Collaborate with coaches to plan summer staff orientation and curriculum development period
- Oversee development and support of teaching assistants and teaching fellows
Qualification, Skill and Knowledge Requirements
- Master’s degree with 6 years of teaching experience is required; must have at least 3 years of experience in an administrative/leadership capacity
- Must have a valid New York State Teaching Certification
- Must be able to demonstrate successful teaching experience and/or administrative experience
- Extensive course work experience in curriculum development
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
We offer highly competitive salaries with generous performance-based bonuses, a comprehensive benefits package, and a low student-teacher ratio. To be considered, interested applicants must apply online or submit a cover letter and resume to [ Link Removed ] . No telephone inquiries or recruiters please. Replies will only be sent to qualified applicants. HCZ is an EOE.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)