- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics field, or equivalent practical experience.
- Master's degree or PhD in Computer Science or related technical field.
- 2 years of experience designing and implementing software systems in Java, C, C++ and/or Python, including experience designing security/privacy solutions for operating systems and distributed systems.
- Experience developing accessible technologies.
- Experience in applications security, cryptography, network security, systems security, malware analysis, or technical/product privacy.
About the job
Google's software engineers develop the next-generation technologies that change how billions of users connect, explore, and interact with information and one another. Our products need to handle information at massive scale, and extend well beyond web search. We're looking for engineers who bring fresh ideas from all areas, including information retrieval, distributed computing, large-scale system design, networking and data storage, security, artificial intelligence, natural language processing, UI design and mobile; the list goes on and is growing every day.
As a software engineer, you will work on a specific project critical to Google’s needs with opportunities to switch teams and projects as you and our fast-paced business grow and evolve. We need our engineers to be versatile, display leadership qualities and be enthusiastic to take on new problems across the full-stack as we continue to push technology forward.
In this role, you will focus on security and/or privacy engineering for components of our systems, such as customer devices, networking equipment, and server infrastructure, with an emphasis on threats from all sources. You will be building systems to protect Google's users. At Google, our users come first, and the Privacy, Safety, and Security (PSS) organization is at the heart of that promise. We build the technologies that transform the way we think about doing business. We're back-end experts: protecting your privacy and ensuring your security.
The Core team builds the technical foundation behind Google’s flagship products. We are owners and advocates for the underlying design elements, developer platforms, product components, and infrastructure at Google. These are the essential building blocks for excellent, safe, and coherent experiences for our users and drive the pace of innovation for every developer. We look across Google’s products to build central solutions, break down technical barriers and strengthen existing systems. As the Core team, we have a mandate and a unique opportunity to impact important technical decisions across the company.
- Research, design, and apply advanced security and privacy techniques.
- Design and engineer security and privacy services and infrastructure.
- Develop advanced security and privacy systems, including cryptographic, authentication, and detection systems across operating systems.
- Write product or system development code.
- Review code developed by other developers and provide feedback to ensure best practices (e.g., style guidelines, checking code in, accuracy, testability, and efficiency).