About Element 84
Element 84 is here to help accelerate and scale projects that have a positive impact on people and the planet. We solve challenging problems across a wide range of industries, but our super power is cloud-based geospatial data processing, remote sensing, and Earth science systems. We were founded by husband-and-wife engineers in 2010 and have grown into a skilled group of practitioners building high-performance systems for the biggest corporate and government clients in the world. Our main office is located in Alexandria, VA but we support a large remote workforce from Michigan to Texas and Pennsylvania to California.
A Few Other Things You Should KnowElement 84's values are: We Invest in Each Other, We are Reliable, and Our Work Benefits our World.
Element 84 works on meaningful projects that are challenging—from a technical, people, and team perspective. We make an impact on large projects through our leadership and expertise, both formal and informal.
Element 84 pays well but we care more about working on projects that matter.
Element 84 values life outside of work. We offer parental leave for everyone and support each other through family challenges like medical problems, adoptions, and new babies.
Element 84 has had a flexible work schedule since our founding in 2010.
Element 84 has made a commitment to diversity. We expect the entire team to share that same commitment. About You
You are curious about the world, are constantly learning, driven to lead (formally or informally), and have a strong work ethic. You're interested in solving impactful problems in science, medicine, and other projects that have a societal good. You can work independently or with a team, prioritize your projects, and be effective without micromanagement.
You'll care about writing. Our team is remote and written communication is essential. In addition to caring about a well-crafted email and a succinct conference abstract, you understand that good writing is good design and engineering.
Paying attention to who we are as a company–people, family members, friends, and colleagues–is our primary focus at Element 84. There are lots of ways to run a company and for us, it's wanting to come to work, being around people we enjoy, taking on big things with people you trust, and sharing our achievements as a team.You’ll get credit when things go right and we’ll have your back when things go wrong.
We only take on work that is challenging and right for us. There are projects we will turn down and the team has a say.
We may be a small company, but we have big company benefits meant to support the idea that we're here for the long term and happiness comes from much more than where you work.
We have an extraordinary retention rate because we hire extraordinary people. We hope that’s you.Element 84 is an equal opportunity employer, with a company culture that values diversity.
We embrace inclusivity and believe that diversity of thought, perspective, and experience helps us reach higher and think bigger. Element 84 is committed to hiring the best person for the team and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.
A talented software engineer is needed on the Element 84 team supporting NASA in its mission to provide scientists and other users access to data from NASA’s Earth science missions. As a member of this team, software engineers will build innovative tools allowing scientists and students alike to discover, transform, update and improve the quality of earth science data in the pursuit of solving a wide range of environmental and socio-economic issues. Specifically, this opening is for a software engineer on the NASA EED-2 Cumulus team. Cumulus is an AWS hosted data archive for Earth science records from around the world. The Cumulus team is an established and high performing agile team working in the Scaled Agile Framework methodology.
This is a full time, salaried position. Please submit your information, resume and cover letter if you are interested in this permanent position in the Washington, DC metro area. Remote candidates welcome.
- Participate in all aspects of the software development lifecycle from user story generation, through design, development, automated testing and operational support
- Develop new feature ideas to meet the ever evolving needs of our end-users
- Continually help the team grow by sharing new ideas and industry best practices
- Suggest improvements to processes and tools to help the team be more efficient
Here are the guidelines we're looking at to gauge experience and skillset:
- 5+ years of experience as a Software Engineer
- Experience with React
- Experience with Front-end design and development
- Experience with UI/UX experience and customer focused interviews
- Ability to work as a member of small team using the Scrum methodology
- Firm commitment to automated testing and continuous integration
- Proponent of continuous improvement; willingness to bring new ideas to the team
- Energetic, self-motivated, team player
- Degree in a technical major, such as Computer Science or Engineering
- Experience with node.js
- Experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS) including at a minimum S3, IAM, Lambda and Terraform
- Experience working in a development team using an Agile methodology (preferably Scrum or SAFe)
- Experience with the Atlassian tool suite (JIRA, Confluence, Bamboo)
- Experience developing on MacOS X and deploying to Red Hat Enterprise Linux
- Experience presenting at technical conferences
This position requires that applicants be a US Citizen must be able to pass a National Agency Clearance with Inquires (NACI) screening.