Coast Colleges District Office
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
IT Virtualization Engineer
Salary: $79,468.45 - $107,138.01 Annually
Deadline: 11/5/2021 11:59 PM Pacific
Full job description and OFFICIAL application available ONLY at: http://126.96.36.199/counter.php?id=211693
The IT Virtualization Engineer provides support in the maintenance and operations of the District’s VDI environment. The IT Virtualization Engineer will plan, install, maintain, upgrade and implement ‘best practices’, as well as identify solutions for the District’s VDI environment. The IT Virtualization Engineer supports the Virtualization team by providing analysis, development, planning, testing and performance monitoring of complex computer projects and specific application needs to implement and maintain the IT Virtualization plan for the college and District sites. The IT Virtualization Engineer administers, monitors, maintains, and provides support for a virtual infrastructure system and is responsible for all aspects of troubleshooting to resolution throughout the local and wide area networks (LAN and WAN).
Distinguishing Career Features
The IT Virtualization Engineer is the first level engineer for the IT Virtualization team. The classification will support the virtualization team through the implementation and development of the IT virtualization environment and hybrid cloud offerings for the college and District sites. The incumbent will perform technical activities related to supporting the long-term virtualization strategy with the District IT management and designated operational teams. Performs specialized duties and is intrinsically involved in the installation, configuration, operation, development, modification, maintenance and repair of virtualized systems, software, and applications. The incumbent will be responsible for all virtualized information technology equipment and systems.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Specific duties may vary among departments, divisions and jobs. Incumbents typically perform a substantial portion or all of the following types of duties, as assigned:
Data Center & Servers & Virtualization & Storage
1. Installs and configures physical servers, storage and network devices, including operating systems, software applications and tools.
2. Provides day-to-day operational support for the physical data link, and network layers of the District’s physical and virtualized environments.
3. Designs, builds, operates, and maintains on-premise and cloud virtual server and desktop infrastructure in accordance with the District’s virtualization plan and recommended best practices.
4. Installs, configures, modifies, maintains and repairs virtual systems, servers and network equipment, hardware, operating systems, software and applications. Maintains system integrity.
5. Sets up new physical and virtual servers to enhance capacity of network function for communication on the network.
Management & Monitoring & Troubleshooting & Systems Center
1. Analyzes reports from monitoring tools to be proactive in resource usage in order to recommend future growth paths and technologies.
2. Analyzes, tests and troubleshoots network devices and services, asset management, and utilization of the network management tools; monitors and analyzes network performance of the District’s infrastructure and internet protocols.
3. Schedules system downtime with end users and technical staff members to facilitate hardware and software upgrades, changeovers, and backups.
Architecture & Design & Project Management
1. Researches, develops, and recommends solutions to current organizational challenges as it relates to virtualized infrastructures.
2. Assists with technical roadmaps for future virtual infrastructure implementation, growth, software upgrades and defines requirements.
3. Works closely with infrastructure, user support, faculty and staff to ensure implementation meets design and requirements.
Performs other related duties as assigned that support the objective of the position.
Required to abide by all District policies and procedures including Board Policy 3050 – Code of Professional Ethics.
Qualifications and Physical Demands
Knowledge and Skills
1. Requires expert knowledge with physical and virtual server(s) installation and configuration including but not limited to Windows, Linux, VMware ESXi, etc.
2. Requires expert knowledge of network service management such as Active Directory, print services, Exchange services, firewalls, system backup solutions, etc.
3. Requires specialized knowledge of storage solutions and capabilities (SAN or NAS).
4. Requires in-depth knowledge of VMware virtual infrastructure customization, management and optimization.
5. Requires in-depth knowledge of the principles and procedures of computer systems, including relational database analysis and design.
6. Requires in-depth knowledge of Cloud Storage.
7. Requires knowledge of virtualization market landscape and dynamics.
8. Requires knowledge of server lifecycle management.
9. Requires specialized knowledge with configuring and troubleshooting networking equipment such as routers and switches.
10. Requires knowledge of VDI infrastructure management to be able to efficiently diagnose and troubleshoot issues.
11. Requires knowledge of system issues and escalation procedures.
12. Requires a working knowledge of host computer database management system concepts, methodologies, analysis, and design.
13. Requires specialized knowledge of virtualization design techniques and host computer logical and physical database structures and relationships, including those for networked microcomputer systems.
14. Requires in-depth knowledge of virtualization planning, program development standards, procedures, tools, and documentation requirements.
15. Requires excellent communication in business and technical writing skills for conveying technical concepts and information to a varied audience of technical skills and abilities.
16. Requires ability to manage, design, and deploy infrastructure and systems in a datacenter environment.
17. Requires enough language and writing skills to read, understand, and prepare system documentation and instructions.
18. Requires enough math skills to record sums, fractions, and statistical data.
1. Requires the ability to perform the essential responsibilities and functions of the position.
2. Must be able to perform a full range of IT virtualization systems analysis and related programming duties.
3. Requires the ability to develop, install, configure, and troubleshoot virtualization application software.
4. Requires the ability to load and configure ESXi environments as well as server operating systems.
5. Must be able to analyze and evaluate the needs of users and develop the most effective program or solution to meet those needs.
6. Requires the ability to work independently with minimum supervision.
7. Requires the ability to support large and complex systems and network installations.
8. Ability to manage the design, deployment, operations and migration of virtualization solution lifecycles.
9. Must know how to operate the computers, operating systems, peripherals, and other equipment used by the District and colleges for information retrieval, storage, analysis, and processing.
10. Requires the ability to write basic SQL extensions to access a relational database and library and lexical functions.
11. Requires the ability to design virtualization database structure and relationships, including those for computer and network systems.
12. Requires the ability work independently and collaboratively, follow logical progressions of program systems and to think logically, creatively, and in abstract terms.
13. Requires the ability to analyze and solve technical problems under extreme time pressure.
14. Requires the ability to create reports and educate others on the District’s virtual environment.
15. Ability to troubleshoot problems and quickly resolve issues.
16. Must be able to read, interpret and apply complex technical information.
17. Requires the ability to learn and apply emerging languages and applications within a reasonable time.
1. The general physical demands, working conditions, and essential job functions associated with this classification will be kept on file with the Office of Human Resources.
2. Essential functions will vary by position.
3. As defined by Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act (“ADA”) and California’s Fair Employment and Housing Act (“FEHA”), the District shall engage in a timely, good faith interactive process with employees or employment applicants who are requesting or are in need of reasonable accommodations and, provide reasonable accommodations for employees or employment applicants who, because of their disability, are limited in or unable to perform one or more of the essential functions of their job in accordance with applicable state and federal law.
Education and Experience
The position requires a Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information technology or a related discipline and six (6) years of related experience in virtualization technologies. Alternatively, the position may accept an Associate’s degree and 10 years of progressive virtualization experience. Or, any combination of education and experience which would provide the required equivalent qualifications for the position.
Additional Desired Experience
The following areas of expertise are desired:
• VMware ESXi 6.0+, vSphere 6.0+
• VMware distributed switches
• Blade and/or rack mount servers
• Storage technologies (SAN, Fibre Channel)
• Windows Server 2012, 2016
• Windows 10
• Linux (RHEL, Oracle)
• Powershell scripting (including PowerCLI)
• Configuration of DNS
• VMware Horizon View 7
• Liquidware Stratusphere UX (or similar VDI monitoring and reporting tool)
• SCCM and similar system management solutions
• Enterprise backup and restore operations
Licenses and Certificates
• May require a valid driver license.
• Work is performed indoors where minimal safety considerations exist.
• This job specification describes the general nature of the work performed, representative duties as well as the typical qualifications needed for acceptable performance. It is not intended to be a complete list of all responsibilities, duties, work steps, and skills required of the job.
Conditions of Employment
This is a full-time,12-months per year classified position.The District reserves the right to extend, modify, or eliminate this position based upon available funds.The normal hours of work will be Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, with the flexibility to occasionally work extended hours and occasional weekends, as necessary to meet the needs of the department. The effective date of employment will be arranged with the supervisor.
THE COAST COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER