Job Functions, Duties, Responsibilities and Position Qualifications:
Position Summary: Responsible for accurately handling and processing all laboratory specimens, ensuring specimen integrity by adhering to laboratory procedures. Serves as a resource for specimen and testing information. Adheres to departmental policies and procedures to include department programs, quality control, quality assurance, and safety.
- Utilizes technical skills and abilities to accurately handle and process specimens.
- Follows laboratory procedures for specimen processing
- Correctly identifies proper tubes, containers, transport media and storage temperature for each test type.
- Determines specimen acceptability, consulting with Referral supervisor, assistant supervisor, or pathologist as needed taking appropriate action when necessary.
- Utilizes job knowledge, judgment, and problem solving skills to ensure quality
- Utilizes appropriate resources to answer inquiries for basic customer related issues.
- Utilizes appropriate resources for proper specimen processing
- Understands and follows all safety, infection control, and OSHA Bloodborne Pathogen guidelines.
- Participates in departmental quality assurance programs.
- Participates in departmental training programs
- Effectively utilizes departmental resources
- Demonstrates efficiency by performing procedures rapidly and determining priority.
- Utilizes appropriate supplies with minimal waste.
- Operates equipment to maximize efficiency and minimize down time.
- Utilizes unstructured time constructively.
- Utilizes personal and professional skills to promote client relations.
- Communicates with laboratory staff and its clients to ensure quality patient care.
- Maintains and supports a service oriented relationship with its customers.
- Respects and maintains the confidentiality of information relative to clients and patients.
- Strives to maintain a positive work environment.
- Enthusiastically performs miscellaneous duties with completion in a designated time frame.
Scope: Promotes quality client/patient relations and creates supportive climate by serving as a role model for behavior. Respects and maintains the confidentiality of information relative to the laboratory. Adheres to all laboratory policies and regulations. Works with minimal direction, consults with technologists and general supervisor as needed. Operates general laboratory equipment, including but not limited to: telephones, computer keyboards and CRT, and centrifuges. Effectively communicates via written, verbal, face-to-face, telephone, and computer methods.
This role will have routine access to Protected Health Information (PHI). Employees will be trained on reasonable safeguards and are expected to maintain strict confidentiality, as well as abide by all applicable privacy and security standards. Employees are expected only to access PHI when it is required to fulfill job duties.
Education: High school diploma or GED
Minimum – training or experience in specimen collection and/or processing
Preferred – two years of laboratory training or experience in specimen collection and processing
Skills: Ability to communicate effectively at all levels within the laboratory and with laboratory clients. Ability to read and write.
Reporting Relationship: Reports to the Referral supervisor or other designated supervisor.
Physical Requirements: Requires light to medium lifting and carrying of objects weighing up to 50 pounds. Requires manipulation of tools, objects, and equipment using the following physical motions: pushing, pulling, lifting, reaching above shoulder height, grasping with both hands, pinching with thumb and forefinger, twisting with hand and wrist, climbing under, lifting up, lifting down, and reaching under. Routinely requires coordination of two or more physical operations. Routinely requires visual discrimination of color, size, shape, and motility. Requires the ability to hear audible alarms on temperature monitored equipment and automated analyzers.
Environmental Demands: Works in temperature controlled environment with constant exposure to biological and chemical hazards. May be required to operate fire and safety equipment or follow other safety procedures in an emergency situation. May be required to work with time constraints and in crisis situations.
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Work Shift:1st Shift (United States of America)
Company:Clinical Pathology Laboratories, Inc.
Sonic Healthcare USA provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.