POSITION SUMMARY The Registered Nurse (RN) Runner is an experienced registered professional nurse who is designated to provide coordination of care, ensure continuous assessment of each patient's and family's needs and implementation of the interdisciplinary plan of care In this position, the RN is expected to perform scheduled and emergent visits as needed. The RN will guide patients and families through the assessment and admissions processes and play a pivotal role in the educational process for patients, families, and caregivers alike. The RN works cooperatively with the attending physician, Medical Director, and other members of the interdisciplinary team.
REPORTS TO: Director of Patient Care Services
Education: Graduate of an accredited school of nursing.
Credentials: Current RN License within the State. BSN preferred. Certification in Hospice, Home Health, or Palliative Nursing desired.
Experience: Minimum of one-year experience as a professional nurse within the last 3 years or have a Baccalaureate in Nursing from a program accredited by the National League for Nursing.
Core Competencies: Demonstrated competency in performance of professional nursing functions. Requires excellent oral and written communication skills.
Other: Valid driver's license and auto insurance.
FUNCTIONS & RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Completes initial and ongoing comprehensive assessments including physical, psychosocial, spiritual, and bereavement.
2. Develops and initiates the plan of care.
3. Communicates and coordinates the appropriate needs of the patient to the interdisciplinary team.
4. Provides education to patients, families, caregivers.
5. Initiates communication with attending physicians and/or Medical Director to report changes in patient/family and coordinate optimal hospice care for the patient and family.
6. Delivers care in different settings, in accordance with patient’s approved plan of care.
7. Completes admission process and required documentation in an accurate and timely manner, in the electronic medical record, as needed.
8. Demonstrates flexibility in scheduling, and readily accepts new admissions and emergency assignments as requested.
9. Maintains knowledge of state and federal regulations and accreditation practices (if applicable).
10. Maintains strict confidentiality at all times.
11. Accepts direction and follows instructions from supervisor; seeks additional information as needed; works with minimal supervision
12. Participates in Quality Assurance Performance Improvement program.
13. Observes for safety hazards in the patient’s and organization’s environments and takes appropriate steps to reduce or eliminate them.
14. Maintains continuing education through academic studies, seminars, and workshops.
15. Attends and participates in in-services, staff meetings, and patient care conferences.
16. Completes all documentation in an accurately and timely.
17. Complies with company policies and standards and practices within the scope of RN license.
18. Continually meets organizational standards for attendance and punctuality.
19. Performs triage with the caregiver/family regarding patient needs, pain crisis, end-of-life issues and death.
20. All other duties and tasks deemed necessary and appropriate.
The above statements reflect the general duties considered necessary to describe the principle functions of the position as identified and shall not be considered as a detailed description of all work requirements that maybe inherent in the position.
1. Evidence of good physical and mental health.
2. Able to lift 40 lbs. from floor to waist and from waist to shoulders.
3. Able to lift 25 lbs. from shoulder to overhead.
4. Able to push/pull 50 lbs.
5. Frequently required to assist with transferring of patients.
6. Frequent bending.
7. Repetitive standing, walking and use of hands.
8. Average vision/hearing.
9. Phone communication ability.
10. Able to drive a car 2-4 hours per day.