STATEMENT OF THE JOB
Under the direction of Clinical Manager, the Benefit Counselor has responsibility for ensuring proper benefits/entitlements for the residents. This requires functioning as the liaison with the Social Security Administration and the New York City Human Resources Administration. The Benefit Counselor will be required to maintain a professional and ethical disposition at all times. The Benefit Counselor ensures the rights, safety and approved care of all residents by implementing best practices in accordance with the Part 595 Regulations of the New York State Office of Mental Health as well guidelines implemented by the Agency.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Coordinating and ensuring that monthly entitlement checks are received and signed by each resident, trouble shoot problems as necessary.
· Accompany clients to Medicaid, Social Security and Public Assistance offices in order to procure benefits.
· Generate reports to the central office.
· Provide each resident with information regarding their benefits and Personal Needs Allowance payments.
· Distribute of monthly benefits and Personal Needs and Expense Allowance with detailed documentation of the distribution of funds.
· Actively participate in weekly supervision, case conferences, staff and clinical meetings and staff meetings
· Meet with residents and discuss their benefit issues, money management plans
· Maintain accurate recordings in case files
· Utilize electronic case record databases as well as RFMS and other databases as required
· Reporting to Behavioral Health Services Administration and/or Agency Administration issues that may have a negative impact on the reputation of the Agency, client and/or staff welfare or any corporate compliance issue.
· Maintain monthly Financial Ledger with weekly entrees of deposits and fax to fiscal department for processing after administrative review of direct supervisor. Maintain a twelve month calendar for distribution of Personal Needs Allowance checks.
· Provide holiday coverage to accommodate the needs of the program when required.
· Prepare contact notes, incident reports and other documentation as needed
· Monitor resident’s compliance to house rules and report non-compliance to Clinical Manager and document in communication log.
· Provide direct residential, rehabilitative and recovery, clinical and case management services to small designated caseload, as needed, and maintain accurate recordings in case file.
· Collaborate with program management in the identification of new referral sources and developing marketing strategies.
· Assist in verifying accuracy of services entered for billing
· Participate in screening process for new residents when required.
· Act as resource for Clinical Manager and Administrative Office.
· Assist with crisis intervention as needed.
· Performs other related duties as requested or assigned
[ Link Removed ]