We're looking for talented senior engineers who are passionate about changing the way people learn languages. As a Cambly engineer, you'll be part of a small and fast-moving engineering team (~10 engineers and growing) where you'll have a large impact on all parts of our platform. We've been growing rapidly among language learners around the world, so you'll get to learn what it's like to join a fast growing startup that's creating opportunities for our students and tutors alike. As a backend-focused Software Engineer, you'll be responsible for building and scaling a global on-demand video chat marketplace. Our app is simple, but there's a complex system behind the scenes making sure our rapidly growing community of students and tutors are being matched quickly for 1-on-1 tutoring sessions 24/7. You'll also be responsible for making sure we scale up best practices for backend development to maximize our uptime as we grow. Our backend is Flask + Gunicorn running on MongoDB. Redis is our PubSub backbone for powering our realtime features. Opentok & Agora power our video chat, while Algolia powers our tutor search. We use Elasticsearch, Kibana, Bigquery, Metabase, New Relic, Sentry, monitoring and metrics. Our Frontend is React + Redux.
Come help us:
- Conceive, design, build, and launch new user-facing features
- Develop, release, and scale backend services and/or infrastructure
- Think critically about the next shaping our software
Work on projects like:
- Scaling our Production Infrastructure, including, sharding and scaling a large-scale MongoDB; Scaling our pubsub infrastructure that powers our real-time features.
- Building a framework for security & auditing of all actions that guarantees customer data is protected.
- Improving our marketplace ecosystem: continuing to ensure students always find a great tutor for their needs, and tutors are able to fill their schedule with students.
- Improve reliability in markets with less reliable internet infrastructure.
- Expanding our data-access layer to support GraphQL access.
- You have 5 years or more experience building and shipping python backend features quickly as part of a team.
- You have 3 years or more building and maintaining high availability production infrastructure.
- Experience working with MongoDB in production.
- A passion for learning. You fearlessly dive into new and unfamiliar technologies.
- A product-minded approach to engineering. You should be excited about working directly with our students, tutors, and our international team to make sure students have an amazing experience.