Babbel is driven by a mission: Everyone. Learning. Languages. This means building products that help people connect and communicate across cultures. Babbel, Babbel Travel and Babbel for Business focus on using a new language in the real world, in real situations, with real people. And it works: Studies with Yale University, City University of New York and Michigan State University prove that it gets users talking with confidence.
The key is a blend of humanity and technology. A team of linguistic experts hand-craft each of our courses, to provide content that is constantly adapted to our learners’ needs. Interactive content with videos and podcasts makes understanding a new language easy, because Babbel is for everyone. That’s why our team is as diverse as our content. From headquarters in Berlin and New York, 750 people from more than 60 nationalities represent the backgrounds, characteristics and perspectives that make all humans unique. Making a true connection with millions of paid subscribers across the globe is what makes Babbel the most profitable language learning app worldwide.
Babbel in Numbers: The #1 top-grossing language learning app globally
Millions of active paying subscribers
More than 60,000 lessons 14 languages hand-crafted by 150+ linguists
More than 10,000 hours of learning content
Over 70 learning podcast episodes and over 50 hours of video learning contentENGINEERING AT BABBEL
Amplifying life. Not automating it.
At Babbel, our endgame is getting people confident enough to go have real conversations with people. Whether that’s about travel or seeing the world from another perspective, we’re committed to amplifying the lives that our learners pursue--not automating them. That’s a unique technical proposition. It involves creating an ecosystem of everything from expert-crafted lessons, to podcasts to support people on their learning journey. Real lives and real problems drive everything we do.
Learning isn’t just for our users.
When we first began, there was no template for online language-learning. Today, we’re the top-grossing player in our field. At the end of the day, we’re no different than our users - we’re curious, constant works in progress. Babbel functions as a learning company inside and out. This principle has driven our culture since day one. From conferences to fostering a culture of knowledge-sharing, we’re enthusiastic about supporting our team members’ experimentation and growth.
Babbel Hackday 2019
We run on brilliant, varied voices. Not the loudest ones.
From Berlin to New York, Babbel has more than 750 people from over 60 countries working for our users. The spectrum of difference that offers -ethnicities, genders, sexualities, cultures- is critical to our learners’ success. It’s just as central to how we approach engineering, and the culture surrounding it. At the end of the day, we’re after a more communicative, empathetic world. Your story, your background, and your experiences are at the core of that adventure.
Meet Babbel's Engineers
Meet Babbel's Femgineers
We are looking for an Engineering Manager to join our Mobile team in Berlin!
- Manage an agile team of five engineers (Android, iOS)
- Contribute as an engineer and member of the squad: write code, work on features and bugs, review others’ code, etc.
- Make sure team members are engaged and complement each other in achieving common goals autonomously
- Lead, coach and mentor a team of engineers so that they grow in technical excellence as well as strategic and business thinking
- Balance product & mobile specific improvements acting as a Mobile Chapter Lead
- Reinforce an MVP mindset, continuous improvements of team ways of working
- Manage dependencies and expectations, building trust with all stakeholders, and delivering on commitments
- Collaborate with product managers and engineers to influence product strategy and drive the product development roadmap
- Attract, onboard, develop, and retain diverse top talents to your team and transform the landscape of Babbel language learning apps
- Experience leading and developing engineering teams within an international, agile environment
- Experience developing and releasing native mobile apps (Android or iOS)
- Passion for business results and people, not just technical excellence
- Proven experience in direct people management
- Ability to collaborate with many other teams
- A healthy approach to giving and receiving actionable, constructive feedback
- Deep exposure to scrum and/or other agile methodologies
Nice to have
- User-centric prioritisation and data-informed decision making
- Experience with both iOS and Android development
- Some experience building serverless architectures, preferably with AWS Lambda and AWS API Gateway
- Experienced in creating and managing career development plans for engineers with diverse skillsets
- Prior work in startup environments
- A steep learning-curve – personally and professionally
- A challenging environment and a lot of responsibility to prove your skills
- A lively startup atmosphere with friendly working hours
- A vibrant international company with people from over 60 different nationalities
- Great company benefits (30 vacation days, unlimited access to Babbel account, high-end company bike, fresh fruit and drinks, English/German classes, In-house Training Academy)
Sounds good? We are looking forward to hearing from you!