In support of and in partnership with the organization’s U.S. domestic claims operations, this position provides consultation, critical analysis and strategy development relative to the most complex and challenging claims circumstances across all business lines as managed by the company’s Claim Department. Corporate Counsel will address legal and litigation strategic needs as to specific claims to inform early disposition as well as trial and appeal strategies. In a more general sense, Associate Corporate Counsel will use data review and analytics to identify litigation issues and challenges by line of business, claim type, lawsuit geography and substantive issue. The Corporate Counsel position maintains a solid understanding of AmTrust’s mission, vision, and values along with upholding the standards of the AmTrust organization.
- Legal research and analysis, including providing conclusions and recommendations for the most complex/high exposure claims.
- Developing and analyzing broad claims and litigation data with a focus on isolating areas of concern and improvement.
- Maintaining a diary of pending lawsuits across various jurisdictions, with varying degrees of complexity, in a manner that reflects efficient organization and the ability to address multiple issues relative to multiple cases.
- Developing talent within the Litigation Department including managing growth of colleagues and the department itself.
- Succinct presentation of complex issues to colleagues in the Claim, Litigation and Underwriting Departments.
- Performs other functionally related duties as assigned.
- D. along with a certificate of good standing from at least one state bar
- 4+ years experience combined at law firm or insurance-related organization (underwriter, broker, managing agent, third-party administrator) handling and/or defending U.S.-based property & casualty claims
- Strong Negotiation Skills
- Strong Communication Skills (written and oral)
- Complex claim, mass tort litigation experience
- Experience handling all business lines, including D&O, Professional Liability, Fortune 1000 CGL, Construction matters, Surety, Workers Compensation
- Licensed Claims Adjuster in at least one State
- Appellate and/or Trial Experience
What We Offer
AmTrust Financial Services offers a competitive compensation package and excellent career advancement opportunities. Our benefits include: Medical & Dental Plans, Life Insurance, including eligible spouses & children, Health Care Flexible Spending, Dependent Care, 401k Savings Plans, Paid Time Off.
AmTrust strives to create a diverse and inclusive culture where thoughts and ideas of all employees are appreciated and respected. This concept encompasses but is not limited to human differences with regard to race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, culture, religion or disabilities.
AmTrust values excellence and recognizes that by embracing the diverse backgrounds, skills, and perspectives of its workforce, it will sustain a competitive advantage and remain an employer of choice. Diversity is a business imperative, enabling us to attract, retain and develop the best talent available. We see diversity as more than just policies and practices. It is an integral part of who we are as a company, how we operate and how we see our future.
This job description is designed to provide a general overview of the requirements of the job and does not entail a comprehensive listing of all activities, duties, or responsibilities that will be required in this position. AmTrust has the right to revise this job description at any time.