Supervised by: Vice President and Chief Sales & Marketing Officer
Supervises: Relationship Managers
Works with: Sales & Marketing staff, Quality Department, Operations, Nutrition Services, and other departments as necessary
This position is responsible for managing day to day sales activities and staff and assisting with the development and implementation of strategic goals and plans to both preserve and grow existing customer relationships in order to protect the top line of the Company. This position is primarily focused towards poultry & swine feed sales.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Support account relationship management and the development of top strategic opportunities.
2. Act as a catalyst to develop content (knowledge), tools & resources that can be used as part of the account development efforts that can also be leveraged to support growth & development of other business areas like dairy feed sales, for example.
3. Coach and mentor direct reports (approximately 5 Relationship Managers) and hold regular 1-1 meetings with team members in order to maintain the development of opportunities, accountability, growth and enable problem solving.
a. Travel with Relationship Managers and meet with customers on a regular basis
b. Establish individual goals that emanate from the corporate strategic plan
4. Effectively drive a disciplined account management strategy that builds institutional relationships in key customers through account planning by involving key stakeholders in the Company, standard reporting approaches and best practice sharing
5. Plays a meaningful role in defining technology initiatives and strategies that serve to enhance the customer experience based on information gained through the account management process.
6. Thinks proactively how to link to ship-to location customers (farmers) in building more effective positioning with the protein customer.
7. Develop a complete understanding of the customer needs, business structure & strategy, segment & industry awareness including understanding consumer preferences, marketing trends, sales channels, and how the customer differentiates and competes in their market space.
8. Develop pricing strategies to achieve company goals while considering customer feedback and competitive pricing knowledge
9. In conjunction with the CSMO, assist with the development and management of:
a. The department budget
b. Strategic marketing plans
c. Marketing collateral and supporting materials to enable effective account management
10. Attend a wide variety of meetings involving t he sales & marketing department and other functional areas within the Company.
11. Fulfill other jobs & duties as requestedJob Requirements
1. Ability to work in a team environment and thrive in collaborative settings while also having the ability to work independently and without supervision.
2. Core personal qualities:
a. Engaged, driven and pro-active with an optimistic attitude
b. Be a self-starter and manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
c. Be curious, a life-long learner, and eager to teach others
d. Have a comfort level with continual improvement and change.
e. Can take charge but is open minded and exhibits a humble leadership
3. Ability to hold conversations and ask articulate and complete questions to develop a deep comprehension and perspective around complex customer needs and situations.
4. Be comfortable interacting with a wide range of individuals and poses the ability to adapt to their preferred style and level of communication.
5. Maintain periods of travel by car (occasional flying) and a flexible schedule for availability at times that meets industry or customer needs.
6. Excellent skills: interpersonal skills and behaviors, verbal and written communication, group presentations, highly organized, computer capable with excel, word, power point, communication tools, and CRM.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Management, Animal Science, or Food Marketing.
- MBA preferred, but not required
- Proven track record of effective strategic relationship management experience including prospecting, relationship building, closing sales, and after-sales support in animal feed, feed ingredients, or adjacent market segment.
- Proven leader with the ability to inspire, develop, and grow a team of sales professionals.
- 5+ years of management experience leading and developing a sales team.
- Direct experience in swine and/or poultry production is strongly preferred