Phlebotomist, Non Certified PRN – AdventHealth Gordon
Location Address: 1035 Red Bud Rd Calhoun, GA 30701
Top Reasons To Work At AdventHealth Gordon:
Located in the foothills of North Georgia Mountains
Co-workers that feel like family
Faith based organization
Employee Referral Program
Educational Reimbursement Plans
Work Hours/Shift: PRN Days
What You Will Be Responsible For:
- Build collaborative professional relationships to create quality healthcare
- Work independently in a professional team-oriented environment.
- Possess office skills such as but not limited to answering the phone, transferring calls, faxing, printing, filing, cleaning and organizing.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Accountability to learn and implement processes that improves laboratory standards.
- Has written and oral communication skills adequate to comprehend technical material and communicate with medical professionals including but not limited to nurses, physicians, and reference laboratories.
- Ability to communicate with patients of all ages from neonatal to geriatric. Use appropriate equipment for specimen collections.
- Ability to emotionally and physically handle high volumes of stress and workload.
- Use universal precautions and PPE deemed appropriate at all times when performing laboratory procedures.
- Ability to locate an appropriate venipuncture site and obtain blood on > 95% of patients with 1 venipuncture
- Ability to obtain blood from antecubital sites as well a finger sticks, heel sticks, and the ability to stick in the arms, hands, legs and feet as medically necessary for testing.
- Ability to understand and collects specimens other than blood such as but not limited to cultures, urine, nasal swabs and throat swabs.
- Ability to draw > 95% of patients within 5-10 minutes.
- Ability to correctly identify a patient, collect and label specimens at the bedside or patient area according to JCAHO guidelines.
- Ability to communicate with technical staff to verify testing required by physicians.
- Ability to understand hospital information systems (HIS) and laboratory information systems (LIS) and utilize the systems to process samples for in house testing and reference laboratory testing.
- Ability to troubleshoot any test in question with an appropriate outcome and documentation.
- Utilize LIS reports and maintenance function to ensure patient testing is ordered, performed and resulted within a timely manner.
- Utilize the LIS for documentation and reporting of results.
- Ability to utilize the internet and intranet to obtain information such as specimen collection requirements for samples being sent to a reference lab.
- Ability to order supplies within the set guidelines to manage inventory and supplies used within the phlebotomy department.
- Mentor and train new employees.
- Required to learn registration, including the entering of patient demographics, insurance information and ordering of tests.
- Understand laboratory protocol and route sample efficiently to the appropriate department.
What You Will Need:
- Computers, telephone, fax, copier, printers, chemistry, hematology, coagulation, urinalysis, blood bank and microbiology analyzers, glucometers, incubators, environmental hood, monitored refrigerators and freezers, centrifuges, phlebotomy chairs and supplies.
- Excellent verbal, written and clerical skills
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- High School graduate or equivalent
- Previous Phlebotomy experience or schooling required
Under the immediate supervision of the Medical Technician, Medical Technologist, Assistant Manager and the Director of Laboratory services, the Phlebotomist collects clinical specimens from patients of all age populations in such a manner as to ensure accurate clinical testing. Must demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide appropriate care to the patient population being served. Understands lab tests and procedures and is proficient on LIS. Answers phone and provides assistance or directs calls as required. Maintains inventory of phlebotomy supplies.
This facility is an equal opportunity employer and complies with federal, state and local anti-discrimination laws, regulations and ordinances.