Big challenges. Passionate people. Smart solutions. This is what you’ll find at 1848 Ventures. We help business owners manage uncertainty and discover opportunity in risk. We’re not aiming for incremental improvement; we’re breaking new ground. And when we see opportunity for innovation, we have the freedom, resources, and culture to make it happen. We’re champions of business owners everywhere. After all, it’s this startup ethos and entrepreneurial spirit that 1848 Ventures – and our parent company, Westfield – was founded on. Westfield, a leading provider of commercial insurance, established 1848V in 2018 to expand beyond conventional insurance services and address the broader risks small business owners face every day. We meet our customers where they are, partnering together to deliver digital solutions that improve their bottom line. At 1848 Ventures, we focus on building careers – not just jobs. Based in Northeast Ohio near Cleveland, our team members grow their creative and commercial skill sets, applying their talents to a wide range of portfolio concepts. And who we are drives what we do – our values empower a thriving culture that allows for true innovation, learning, and growth. We know that in order to succeed, we need the right people to make it happen. We start by building a team with a diverse set of voices, backgrounds, and experiences. We’re looking for the innovators. The pioneers. The change agents. The people who aren’t afraid to ask, “What if…?” and try it anyway. This is the place for self-starters, go-getters, and anyone who wants to see a good idea become a great reality. We’re looking for experienced, collaborative, results-driven critical thinkers from a diverse array of personal and professional backgrounds to lead the development and refinement of new venture concepts based on deep customer insights. We are an equal opportunity employer/minority/female/disability/protected veteran.
1848 Ventures opportunities can be 100% remote or onsite in our office in Westfield Center, OH. Relocation assistance is available.
Machine learning? We got that! GraphQL? We got that too! Rails, React, Serverless? All of that! We’re building an amazing product for the restaurant industry and looking for a seasoned Fullstack Developer to help us take things to the next level. You’ll be paired with a world-class product team, supported by a team of data scientists, and working under the guidance of a lead developer with an eye for craftsmanship and a desire to help you do the best work of your career. This is a chance to work with some exciting technology in a collaborative environment and grow a product that will have a serious impact on our customers.
Day to Day:
- Iteratively build product features as requested by product owner and design team
- Participate in code reviews across all aspects of the product
- Participate in project rituals (standups, sprint kickoffs, sprint retros)
- Proactively suggest implementations that maximize value delivery
- Develop an intuitive understanding of the product roadmap
- Ensure that technical standards remain high throughout the lifecycle of the product
- Work in a lean, agile DevOps environment
- Experience delivering performant Ruby on Rails applications
- Experience delivering visually rich React applications
- Solid understanding of GraphQL
- Experience with cloud-based architectures
- Broad experience consuming APIs (REST, GraphQL, etc…)
- Experience with Apollo, developing and supporting APIs
- Postgres database optimization
- Understanding of object oriented and functional programming paradigms
- Working knowledge of Serverless and AWS Lambda
- Experience working iteratively with a design team